Nichols Hospitality Consulting, Inc.'s Principal is Jan L. Nichols, a real estate consultant specializing in the hospitality industry for 30+ years. She has conducted over a thousand market studies, financial analyses, valuations, or feasibility studies of hotels and resorts for developers, REITS, lenders, pension fund advisors, and investors throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and Europe.
2001- Now: NICHOLS HOSPITALITY CONSULTING, INC. President Central Florida
1998-2001: HVS INTERNATIONAL Associate Managing Director, Orlando, Florida Director of Consulting Services, Miami, Florida
1992-1998: RESORT & URBAN PROPERTY CONSULTANTS, INC. Vice President Tampa, Florida
1984-1989: MERRILL LYNCH ADVISORY & APPRAISAL, INVESTMENT BANKING REAL ESTATE GROUP Manager of Hospitality Consulting & Appraisal Services Atlanta, Georgia
1980-1983: LAVENTHOL & HORWATH Senior Consultant Atlanta, Georgia Washington, DC
1978-1980: U.S. TRAVEL DATA CENTER Research Analyst Washington, DC
- B.S., Hotel Administration, University of Wisconsin-Stout, Cum Laude, 1978, Minor in Tourism Development.
- Appraisal Institute Education, 1993 - 2003, including Principals of Appraisal, Capitalization Theory & Technique, Standards of Professional Practice, Report Writing & Valuation Analysis, and Advanced Applications.
- Certified Hotel Administrator (CHA), American Hotel & Lodging Association, since 2000. This certification reflects professional competence in all aspects of hotel management and marketing.
- Member, US Green Building Council Central FL Chapter since 2007. Assists hotel developers in determining the feasibility of incorporating green or LEED certified design.
- FL Certified General Appraiser, licensed by the FL Real Estate Appraisal Board, 1993 - 2016.
- Counselor of Real Estate (CRE), 2005 - 2014. This international organization recognizes seasoned professionals who have demonstrated excellence, knowledge, and integrity in real estate counseling.
- Subject Matter Expert, Real Estate Appraiser License Examinations, Bureau of Education & Testing, FL Dept. of Business and Professional Regulation, 2002 - 2006. Helped write State of Florida Appraiser Licensing exams.
- Travel & Tourism Research Association, member, 1977 - 1990. Chaired U.S. chapters in Atlanta and Washington, DC, and served on the international board of directors. Extensive understanding of tourism development and market analyses.
- For Plaintiff, Federal Court, Jacksonville, FL, 2004.
- For Defendant, Collier County Court, Ft. Myers, FL, 2003.
- For Plaintiff, Federal Court San Francisco, CA 1999.
- For Plaintiff, Tarrant County Court, Fort Worth, TX, 1995.
- For Defendant, Fulton County Court, Atlanta, GA, 1993.
“CRE Nichols Advises on Green Hotel Development in Florida” published by the Counselors of Real Estate Newsletter, Chicago, IL, 2007.
"Hotel Sales and Development Trends in Florida" speech presented at the Florida Hotel Conference 2000, Florida International University, Miami, FL, 2000.
“Spa Facilities – A Required Resort Amenity?” HVS International Journal, June 2000.